Keeping Up with the Jones' On A Budget



Hi Friends,

We all struggle with finding contentment.  It can be hard to stick to what I have and maintaining it.  In fact we should all practice being content a little bit more in all areas of our lives.  The world tells us to get more, do more, be better.  I know the list could go on and on and it never stops.  There is so much vying for our attention all of the time.

However, I'm going to talk about adding value to your home without taking out a line of credit against your house.  By the grace of God, my husband and I have always been able to provide for our family, have reliable cars, and continue to make ends meet, yet we've never been in a place where we can do any major kind of remodel.  We are the typical do-it-yourselvers you find at Home Depot on a Saturday morning.  Having limited means have forced us to be creative, research what we like and dislike and how to do things with cost efficiency as our highest priority.

Here are my tips for you.

Clean House.  Often times just cleaning out a closet or the pantry or straightening up that bookshelf can not only add value but be cathartic for you as well.  I know that when I have cleaned something out and it's neat and organized it gives me more peace in my own environment.  And once it's done I  feel accomplished about what I was able to do.  We get the whole family involved.  Clean the windows inside and out, scrub the kitchen cabinets, clean the grout in the bathroom, dust the blinds, even polish the silver.  (yes, I still have silver that I make my kids polish.) We often assign our kids rooms of the house to clean or one of them dusts, one sweeps and the other vacuums.  Plus they are all responsible for their own rooms and household privileges like video games, computer time, or Netflix passwords are not shared until these tasks are completed to mom's and dads's standards. While at the same time we are teaching our kids to have a good work ethic and to have pride in what they do.  Ta Da!  Clean House!

Freshen up the flower pots on your porch. Fresh flowers on your porch always makes your home feel more welcoming and homey.  Go seasonal and plant bright orange and deep red blooms for fall or bring pinks and purples in the spring.  I even planted poinsettias one Christmas, but only do this in warmer climates.

Paint.  Paint does wonders for adding value to your home.  And paint can be cheap.  Maybe your home just needs be freshened up with the same color because your toddler who is now a teenager wrote their name for the first time with a crayon ten years ago.  So get some swatches and match it or go for an updated color.  Through trial and error I have found what colors I like to live in and what colors I do not.  Here's a tip, for color inspiration, take a look at what hangs in your closet and take a clue from the colors you feel comfortable wearing.  It usually means you like to live in those color schemes as well.   Also to save even more money check out what is on the "oops" rack at your local home improvement store.  There are always cans of paint there that are cheaper than having a custom color done.

Furnishings and Home Accessories.  If you live in the East Bay, then I will share my new favorite place to find furniture with you.  It's called Shop Heroic .  They carry many of the same furniture pieces that you would find at Costco or Sam's Club for half the price.  They also have mattress and appliances.  We got our last couch there.  They always have a flux in inventory, so if you go once and don't find anything you like just keep going back each week and you will find something to meet your needs.  They also post new inventory on their Facebook page so you can keep an eye out for what you are looking.  Another place I find to update my home is maybe a new set of chairs I find a tMarshalls or TJ Maxx as well as a new throw for the couch, new seasonal pillows or a tray for the coffee table.  These simple additions breath new life into your home giving you a new confidence and comfort for your family and friends to enjoy for years to come.  Also, stop by your local thrift store.  You can find beautiful serving pieces that look like they have been in your family for years.

Fresh Eyes.  If you need a fresh set of eyes to give you ideas for your home just give me a call and I'd love to bring you some coffee and share with you things I have learned along the way.    Finding a fresh contentment in your surroundings is never far away.

                    


Comments

Popular Posts